How to apply for changes in PAN card

by Abhinav Gulechha on June 30, 2012

Note: This is a guest post by Aditi Gulecha. She happens to be my sister and is a techie by profession. She has recently corrected her PAN details online and has thought of sharing her experience with all of you.


Today I would like to share my views on a very common topic “Changes or Corrections in PAN Card”. Nowadays having a PAN card is not a choice, it has become a requirement. It is needed before making investment in mutual fund, purchasing gold, buying property etc. PAN also is a readily acceptable Identity proof where in your details like your name, father’s name, your recent photo etc. are given. In some cases like investment in mutual funds, PAN is a must.

Now, the information we had given years before at the time of applying first time, may gets updated due to certain events like change of address, change of name after marriage (for ladies) etc., and as a result you would want to change details in PAN.

So what to do now ??

You have to update the details in your PAN Card so as to continue using it in your IT returns/ as identity proof at various places. Also in case of e-filing of returns, your return is forwarded by Central Processing Centre to Assessing Officer of the place as per the address mentioned in PAN (to know how you can e-file your return yourself, read an earlier post by Abhinav here)

Now, I am sharing from my experience that updating the details in your PAN Card is not at all a difficult task and there is no need of going to anyone. You can all do it by yourself online….of course you can spare half an hour on the weekend. It is simple as that!

So if you are game for this, read on…..

Which details you can update in PAN card

Now that you know that it is necessary to keep your PAN Card details updated, next question that comes in the mind is that which all details in my PAN Card you can update.

Okay…Apart from the things that are printed on the PAN Card (name, father’s name and your photo), there are some other things that are not printed but are maintained in the records of the IT department like Date of Birth, Cell no. Landline no., email Id/Signature. So the full list of things you can update is given below:

  1. Your Full Name
  2. Father’s Name
  3. Communication Address (Residence/Office)
  4. Signature
  5. Telephone No.
  6. Cell no.
  7. Email ID.
  8. Aadhar No: If you have been allotted Aadhar Card, then Aadhar No. can also be provided.

How to make online application for change in PAN card

Now you know which details need to be updated, we will move to the next part i.e. How to update the PAN Card details online. Follow this step by step process:

    1. Go to the url:- Scroll down at the end you will find an option to select in “Apply for New PAN Card Or / And Changes Or Correction in PAN Data”.
    2. Select “Individual” from the option box, (likewise depending on the type of entity like company, partnership form etc. you can select the suitable option from the option box.
    3. A form for updation of details in PAN Card will open.
    4. In this form, you are required to fill your details.
    5. Whichever detail needs to be updated, please check the corresponding check box on the left hand side of that entry.
    6. In support of your changes and corrections, you need to attach your Identity Proof and Address Proof. For an acceptable list of ID/ Address proofs, check
    7. This procedure requires fees of Rs 96.00 to be given to the Govt. You can make payment by way of following options:
      • Demand draft
      • Credit Card
      • Net Banking
    8. Name of the applicant and the acknowledgement number should be mentioned on the reverse of the demand draft / cheque.
    9. Submit your application by clicking on “Submit” button. You will receive an acknowledgement which contains a unique 15 number  acknowledgement. Take a print-out of this document.
    10. Sign the acknowledgement, affix two photos on it and attach the Address and Identity proof to it. Super scribe the envelope with ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN CHANGE REQUEST-<15 digit Acknowledgment Number>’.
    11. Send the docket to following address in such time as it reaches NSDL within 15 days of the date of online application:

National Securities Depository Limited,
  5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016

12.  You will get the revised PAN document by courier to the specified communication address, within a month. In case of non-receipt, some of the easy ways you can check status is given below:

  • SMS NSDLPAN <space> Acknowledgement No. & send to 57575
  • Call TIN Call Centre : 020- 27218080
  • Email :


So now you know that by help of internet and technology, you can do certain important things yourself in a very easy way.  Hope this article was easy to understand and useful to you. Please share your experience in comments section and also in case you have any queries.

The following two tabs change content below.

Abhinav Gulechha

SEBI RIA and Principal Financial Planner at M/s Soham Financial Planners
Abhinav is a SEBI Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) and the Principal Financial Planner at, where he provides fee-only financial planning advice and mentoring to help families plan and organise their financial life and move confidently in direction of their life’s most important goals. By qualification, he is a Certified Financial Planner (CFPCM) and a Chartered Accountant (ACA), and has a 9+ years of industry experience. He regularly writes on his website as well as in reputed journals /industry magazines, and also serves as visiting faculty at a couple of FPSB India’s authorised education providers in Mumbai. He is also a member of The Financial Planners’ Guild, India (FPGI), an association of Practicing Certified Financial Planners.

{ 211 comments… read them below or add one }

Mariam September 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Dear Mr.Abhinav,
Thank you very much for your useful PAN card information.
I have a question relating to this.

I was working abroad. Then I got married 6 years back. And I have not changed my address. Hence, I do not have sufficient address proof to apply for PAN card with my husband house address. He is a farmer in Kerala.

Now I am back in Kerala and when I checked with bank, they said I cannot have any joint account with my husband since I dont have a PAN card and evenif I take the PAN card the address will be based on my passport. Hence, I cannot have joint account with my husband.
Please guide me to resolve this.
Thanks and regards,


Abhinav September 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hello Mariam

thanks for your query. I can empathise with your situation. In my view, you can try getting the following proofs which are acceptable by IT department:

a) In case you are employed in a sufficiently big organisation, you can ask your employer to give you an “Employer Certificate”
b) A letter from a gazetted officer in specified format (for format, check link:



Mariam September 9, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Hi Abhinav,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I cannot get the employer’s certificate since I am not working now.
I will check with attorney or GO with the application for the address proof.
Thanks n regards,


Abhinav September 10, 2012 at 10:33 am

Yes Mariam – it might be an effort to locate a gazetted officer and get a certificate signed, but once its done, life will be easier for you:) do write back in case I can help you with anything else.



Vasudev October 3, 2012 at 12:08 am

Hello Abhinav,
i have lost my pan card. Can i apply for new pan card? If yes than how? Actually i have a scan copy of pan card but it is not valid. Kindly requested to give the guideline in this matter please.


Sangita September 11, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Mr. Abhinav,

You have given a very useful information.Is the driving License Information can also be updated online?



Abhinav September 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Hello Sangita

Thanks for appreciation. To best of my knowledge, till date, there is no system to update details in driving license online. You will have to make a written application to the concerned RTO office, or take help of one of the agents/ motor driving schools in this regard.



chaithra October 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Hello Abhinav,

Thanks for the very good information about PAN Card.

My concerns here is, i have my PAN with wrong date of birth, i need to update it soon, so as per your information above i can apply for the correction, but does my PAN card number is going to change in this case?

please let me know.

Thanks in advance:)


Abhinav October 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Sorry Ms. Chaithra for delay in reply. No your PAN no. will not change and will remain the same.



BHOBESH MEDHI December 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm

When i will get my pan card after submitting my documents?


Abhinav December 10, 2012 at 10:51 am

Yes Bhobesh you will get a new PAN card after submitting the application at the address registered in IT records / the one you provided in the application.


pradip December 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm

hi abhinav,
your given information is very useful, many thanks for that.
i have a query that my wife has a pancard but it has his father’s home address, i want to change it to mine.
will she get a new pancard for that or the address will be updated in records only as pancards do not carry any address ?
she can use her old /current pancard right?
waiting for your valuable advise.
thanks again.


Abhinav December 10, 2012 at 10:50 am

Dear Mr. Kumar

Thanks for your query and sorry for a delay in reply. Once you apply for change in PAN details, the IT department will makes changes in its records AND issue a new PAN card as well, even if a record that needs to be changed does not appear in PAN card (e.g. address, in your case)

so now you have 2 pan cards for the same PAN. You can use any of the PAN cards – wont make a difference.

Hope this answers your query.



robin December 12, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Hai Abhinav,

I have received an acknowledgment copy from PAN card office. they had given a wrong name for me so i want to correct it. how can it be corrected

reply me..


Abhinav December 13, 2012 at 11:07 am

Dear Robin

in my view, you can wait and get the application card. After you receive the same, file a change application as per the process mentioned in this post.

this may be a bit tedious way and may take some time, but in my view its the right way.



Nishanth December 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

The fields marked in red are said as mandatory,
Rent Receipt*, Credit Card Statement*, Bank Account Statement / Passbook*,Depository Account Statement*,Employer Certificate*, Telephone Bill*,Electricity Bill*
if suppose I am not staying in rented house then house will I produce a rent receipt. By submitting only voter id isn’t it enough as address or name proof? I dont have credit card either. Please let me know how I can proceed with this. I just need to change my address in existing pan card.


admin December 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Hi Nishanth

I checked the “documents to be submitted” list as prescribed by ITD. Yes, some 7-8 docs are said to be “mandatory” and rest are not. I frankly do not know the reason why. Voter ID is also included in the list but asterisk mark is not mentioned.

Your frustration is understandable. I think in such circumstances, the best and most easiest way is to get a bank account statement if your address on bank records is a rented place. Else, wherever you are employed, you can apply to HR stating the reason as “address proof for PAN card” and get a certificate on letterhead for the same. That should serve the purpose.

I hope this helps.



Manu December 28, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Dear Abhinav –

As you said above, In case of e-filing of returns, our return is forwarded by Central Processing Centre to Assessing Officer of the place as per the address mentioned in PAN —

Hence, I want to update my address – So that the return is forwarded to an AO in my current.

While filling up the application form for change in PAN, they are asking for two addresses – #1 Address of Correspondence and #2 Other Address

Do you happen to know which one should I update so that I get AO in my current city of residence.

Thanking in anticipation!


admin December 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Hi Manu

The address counted for AO purpose will be “Address for correspondence”. The other field for address is just provided in case assessee wants to update one more address in records (for the other address, even a proof is not asked for).

so, please update your correct residential address in “Address for correspondence” section.

Hope this helps.



Manu December 31, 2012 at 10:38 am



Paallavi January 14, 2013 at 12:13 pm


I received a pancard and my spelling of the name is wrong. Can i submit my leaving certificate/ birth certificate as a proof? For address proof can i submit my office id card for adress proof? Can you please let me know how important the address proof is? Whether any transaction in future will required this address? May be after few years i will not be in this office!

Please reply as soon!



Abhinav January 27, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Hello Paallavi

Thanks for your query and extremely sorry for delay in reply. Yes you can submit “school leaving certificate” as ID proof but NOT “birth certificate. For address proof, office ID card is NOT acceptable. However, you can provide a certificate from employer on letterhead – it is acceptable.

as regards your query on use of “address”, as I mentioned in the post, in case you e-file the return, the Central Processing Centre (CPC) will forward your return to the Assessing officer as per the address you mentioned.

As regards your valid point that “office address” will get changed in few years time, I will suggest you give “residence address” proof. In case you are living on rented basis, then its better to quote your “permanent address” till you finalise any one communication address.

Trust this helps.



P VEERASWAMY NAIDU January 17, 2013 at 11:04 am


I received PAN card with wrong name and while applying for Changes/correction of PAN it is asking for abbrivated full name but in all my ceritificates and proofs i had my name with initials and that too there is no space available for writing full name. How can i solve this problem, i need the name on PAN card as in my certificates.


Abhinav January 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Dear Mr. Naidu

sorry for delay in reply and thanks for your query. I will like to bring your attention to the instruction on documents to be submitted check this link:

now, as per the instructions, there are two fields to be filled – “full name”and “name to be printed on your card”

As regards “name to be printed on the card”, you can use any abbreviation in first name and middle name however you will have to mention the last name in full. So, in your case, if last name is Naidu, you can have the name on PAN card as say “P V Naidu” or P Veeraswamy Naidu” but NOT “PVN”. Abbreviated last name is NOT allowed by Income tax department.

Could you tell me what is the exact problem faced by you if name on pan card differs from your investment proofs?



saikiran February 10, 2013 at 8:30 pm

heloo thanks for gud info…………….but i had a problem………i got pan card named meduru sai kiran ,but actually my name is meduri sai kiran ……………if i apply this change form and post to address which u have given ….i will get updated n can what about my change of my pan card ………they will be sending new pan card can u help me plzzz


Abhinav February 13, 2013 at 12:51 am

Saikiran thanks for writing. Yes, when you submit a change request, a “fresh pan card” will be issued to the address given by you – it will contain your correct name.

hope it solves your query.



vijay gupta March 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Dear Abhinav,

I read you article i have a question in my mind. I have a PAN card. when i go to make my Logine ID for IT return so on that time it ask for first name, middle name , Surname, Father name, Date of birth , Mail ID & Tel No.

As Per my PAN card i fill all data but no middle name i fill. So that my user ID not created. Shall u help me how shall i create my login ID for it return. Also i want to know that if i provied other mail ID & Tel no. so any which i recent use. Is it any problem during creating Login ID for it return.

Please help me.

Thanks & Regards


Abhinav March 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I checked the login process – “middle name” is not a mandatory field. I request you to please adhere to the instructions provided at the right of the screen. Yes you can provide your present e-mail ID and tel no. but ensure you are using it, as the income tax dept will use it to communicate with you.

In case you still face problems, you can contact the Income Tax Call centre as per nos. specified on the website.

Trust it helps.


mallesh Annaraju March 8, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Hi abhinav,
Thanks for the very good information about PAN Card.

My Name on Pan card is Mallesh Babiah Annaraju, but i want as Mallesh Babu Annaraju,
Babu is My Father Name, i have applied for father Name change in PAN CARD OFFICE and i have given supporting documents for Name change like ration card and Voter id in that my father name mention as Malleh Babu Annaraju. and if my name change in pan card, so my pan card no will change or remaining same.


Abhinav March 14, 2013 at 1:43 pm

PAN card no. will not change. It will remain the same. You will get a fresh PAN card with corrected name but PAN no. will remain the same.

Hope this answers your query.


Gian Prakash Chauhan March 10, 2013 at 10:33 am

I applied for PAN card in 2002. And I got one.But my father’s name came out to be Hem Ram Chauhan (printed on the pan card). But my father’s name is simply Hem Ram with no Chauhan attached to it. It seems that my agent might have filled it that way. My mistake is that I signed without checking the filled form. Now i want to correct it. What documents am i supposed to submit (leave academic certificates) to get it corrected.
Thanking u in anticipation.


Abhinav March 14, 2013 at 1:41 pm


Since this change of father’s name will constitute as “marginal correction”, you can submit any other identity proof like Voter ID card, Passport, Driving License, where your father’s correct name “Hem Ram” is mentioned.

Hope this answers your query.



Satish Kumar S March 20, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Hi Abhinav,
Thanks for your good responce..

I have one doubt about PAN name change.
I want to change My wife surname on PAN card, how? Now i know how it is ..after read above process.But i dont have marriage certificate, i have marriage invitation is useful for that..Give me your valuable suggestions or feedback about this..



arshi khan May 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm

my sister doesn’t have any id proof so how I can apply for pan card plz suggest me


admin May 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm


it cannot be that no valid ID proof is available. If recognised ID proof like Voter ID etc. is not available, even a letter from Gazetted officer can do. Also, you can also first apply for Aadhar card and get it, and then apply for PAN card.



jayashri May 10, 2013 at 10:50 pm

can i change the occupation of my husbund (business to employ/nri)


admin May 17, 2013 at 12:00 am

Hi Jayshree no you cannnot change occupation in PAN change request…


Pinky May 14, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I have applied for the PAN card name change after marriage on 9th November 2012.
From Jan 2013 its showing the status as ,
“Your application for ‘New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN Data’ is under process at Income Tax Department ”

Now its been 5 months and it still show the same status.I had made a number of calls to NSDL , IncomeTax department and filed so many complaints too..but nothing is helping me, as NSDL people are saying its under Income Tax department…

Can you please advise some way to help me out, as I am fed up calling these offices everyday and they are least responsible and only have same answer as the status will be changed next in 2 days, they dont even try to solve the problem.

Thank You!


admin May 17, 2013 at 12:22 am

Hi Pinky

I can empathise with your situation. I request you to record the date (if possible) of the calls made to NSDL and replies received and file a formal complaint on NSDL wesbite with complete facts at

also I request you to write to the Managing Director of NSDL at HO address as mentioned at – and wait for a formal response.

If you dont receive a response, you may contact the Aaykar Sampark Kendra at their toll free nos. 1800-180-1961.

In case you still do not receive an option, you can file a Right to Information (RTI) query to Income Tax Department with your query by help of agencies like or for a nominal fee.

I understand its very difficult and frustrating, but you have to hold your ground and hopefully your issue will get solved.



satheeshkanna May 20, 2013 at 3:08 pm


I lost my PAN CARD & Now I want to re-print my PAN CARD. The name printed on the PAN CARD is SATHEESHKANNA S. When I type the same in Last name/Surname field given in the application form it shoes the error message as “Initials not allowed in Last name/Surname”.

I have tried like this, Added my name as Satheeshkanna in Last name/Surname field & SATHEESHKANNA S as name to be printed on the card, but My Application was rejected stating the reason that “the name to be printed in the card is wrongly mentioned”.

Please help on this issue, how to fill the name fields to get the name to be printed on the card as SATHEESHKANNA S

Thank you,


admin May 21, 2013 at 1:21 am


I will suggest for your query, you should personally visit the TIN-PAN facilitation centre and ask the officials there. You can download the address here –


chinnu June 7, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I want to know how many days it will take make the correction of date of birth as it was taken for the 3years


admin June 8, 2013 at 10:45 pm

sorry Mr. Chinnu your query is not clear to me


Shaurya Singh June 8, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Hi Abhinav,

Thanks for the valuable information.

I am facing a problem here as I have changed my name from Raju Singh to Shaurya Singh in Gazette of India and now I want to change my name in PAN card as well but the problem is that I am not having any proofs with my new name (Shaurya Singh) . Please help me in suggesting the ways by which I can change my name in pan card .


admin June 8, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Hello Mr. Shaurya

As per the Guidelines on name change, in the list of documents allowed for support of name change application, only “publication of `name-change’ in gazette” is mentioned. Unfortunately, there is no other document you can submit…

So, you will have to consult the concerned govt. authority for a duplicate copy of gazette publication and submit the same with your PAN application



John June 26, 2013 at 3:20 pm


I am an NRI, and I have an NRE account with a fixed deposit of around 20 lacs.

As I am not liable to any Indian Tax do I still need a PAN card?




aleena sharma June 27, 2013 at 2:34 pm

My mom got the PAN card 15-20 years back with a wrong father’s name printed on it( the first namei.e Ram Lal Kapoor) and now again 1 month back we reapplied but again the name was mentioned incorrectly(Roshan Malhotra Kapoor) The original name is Roshan Lal Kapoor.
as per the customer care dept i submitted all the supporting docs with a covering letter too. but still there is no response and now they are asking me to get it done from collector’s office and send the mail again to NSDL.
Now what needs to be done and from where i could get help in this regard.


Abhinav June 28, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Hello Ms. Aleena

I empathise with your grievance. I will suggest you register a formal complaint at and see what response comes.



aleena sharma June 28, 2013 at 4:03 pm


I am so thankful for your prompt reply and support.


Deepak Kumar July 5, 2013 at 2:17 am

I have two questions:
1st the address that you have given (where we need to send our documents as well as form) differs from the one given in the site.
2nd, How should we send the envelope? Can we send using speed post?
Thnaks in advance
Deepak Kumar


Abhinav July 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm


thanks for pointing out. I checked the NSDL website and there seems to be a recent address change. Have updated the post accordingly. As regards your second question, it can be sent through ordinary post/ speed post.



Krishnenduchatterjee July 20, 2013 at 12:59 am

If I want to change my pan number and correction in DOB with fathers name what I have to do?


Abhinav July 20, 2013 at 9:31 am

Dear Krishnendu

You cannot change your PAN no. which has been given to you. Yes, if you want to change DOB etc., you can follow the process which I have outlined in the post.



manvi August 5, 2013 at 1:46 pm

hi ,I was working before marriage ,now i m not ,so I have pancard of my fathrs surname.Now i m married .we bought a property so we need my pancard for that.I can give my pancard but in that thr is a spelling mistake in my fathr’s surname spelling .If I go for correct this spelling online thn i need to enclose any adress proof? pls reply me asap


Abhinav August 19, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Dear Manvi

You need to furnish address proof only if you are changing the address. If you are only changing father’s surname, there is no need to submit address proof.


PRANAV August 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Hi Abhinav,

For AY 2009-10, I was usng incorrect PAN number for TDS. Also I filed return usng incorrect PAN.

Today I noticed outstanding taz amount against AY 2009-10.

Can you please let me know the procedure how to get it solved?



Abhinav August 30, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Dear Pranish

Sorry for the delayed reply. Dont worry about this. Just contact your respective assessing officer personally and inform of this mistake. Also carry with you your complete income tax file along with form 16.

Proceed forward basis further directions of your AO.

Hope this helps and apologies for delay again.


Satish Babu August 10, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Can you mail me the format of Certificate by Gazetted officer For PAN Card Change for Name?


Abhinav August 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm

sorry there is no such format prescribed by IT department


Renuga August 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I have submitted the pan change request for DOB change and my father’s name spelling mistake. In that application father’s surname is mandatory. So i have given my grandfather’s name as surname of my father. But we dont have any proof of father’s surname. what can i do for that. Shall i submit another request… will they ignore the submitted request incase of any proof sent in 15 days.


Abhinav August 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Dear Renuga

I think for father’s name. if a valid proof was not available, you could have procured a letter from a Gazetted officer and should have attached with your PAN change request. Giving grandfather’s name as surname of father is wrong approach and in all likelihood, will be rejected by IT department.

In my view, you can lodge a fresh PAN change request and attach a letter from Gazetted officer, as I have mentioned above.


tiky August 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I would like to change my date of birth in my pan card. What all documents ate needed. is it necessary to send the existing pancard to the issuing authorities for making the correction


Abhinav August 20, 2013 at 11:55 am

Hi Tiky

As per the instruction guidelines – “Request for correction of date of birth (for individuals) and date of incorporation (non-individuals) will have to be supported with documents issued by competent authority containing the correct date.”

The instructions do not specify any particular document, so you can provide a valid document like passport, voter ID card, driving license etc.


mehuldoshi August 29, 2013 at 7:04 pm

dear sirs
i have change my adress in my pan card last two years , while filling e return it show my old address against my pan no, how i can file my return at new address


Abhinav August 30, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Dear Mehul

The address shown in PAN card is the address where you will receive all communications from IT department – address filed in the return does not matter. So, you have to ensure that the address filed in PAN Card is the correct one.

In case as you say you changed address 2 years back, just make sure it got changed. Also check where are you receiving the communications. if you are receiving it in the new address, you can assume its OK.

As for the address shown in the return, it should not happen. But you can manually change it while filing the return.

Hope this helps.



hari August 31, 2013 at 6:44 pm

i have kept my signature on two photographs while applying pan card via online……is it acceptable or not?
someone please tell me immediately ?????


Abhinav August 31, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Dear Hari

Wait for some days if it is not accepted, the IT department will raise a query or in worst case, your application will be rejected.

In my view, it may be rejected – reason being, the photo is used for printing on PAN card, and any signature etc. will invalidate it…its just a thought.

Wait for a reply from the department and see..


Jessica September 3, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I recently changed my surname to reflect my marital status. Hence i applied for a PAN card update (for my new surname,address and signature. My new PAN card arrived shortly a while ago ‘with the same PAN number’ since I believe that a PAN number is meant to be permanent despite a name change(in the case of married women). So my query is: Is it an offence to possess two PAN cards ‘with the same PAN number’(one in my maiden name and one in my married name)? Thanks in advance…


Abhinav September 4, 2013 at 11:02 am

Dear Jessica

It is an offence to have two PAN NUMBERS and not two PAN cards with same number. Rest assured, its OK. You can start using the new PAN card and you can go ahead and trash the old PAN card (remember to cut into pieces and then put in trash, to avoid misuse)

Hope this clarifies.


Jessica September 4, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Great ! Thanks a lot for the info ! Kudos for this informative post !


Abhinav September 5, 2013 at 10:59 am

Thanks very much Jessica. We feel encouraged. Do share with us any topics you want us to cover on this blog, we will be glad to write about them. Thank you.


gita September 4, 2013 at 1:04 pm

my name in aadhar card is:
fname middlename surname
but in my pancard :
surname fname middlename

so is this a problem
and while applying for passport i shud use aadhar card or pan card details plz help me
or shud i update my aadhar card details or what?


Abhinav September 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm

hi Gita

To the best of my knowledge, there is no linkage between PAN Card and Aadhar Card, so no need to worry. Just ensure that the name is correctly spelled and it should be fine.

If you apply for passport, you can give any of the document as supporting, but Aadhar card will be more preferable as it will function both as identity and address proof.

You dont need to update your Aadhar card details.


Prasanta Dey September 7, 2013 at 12:07 pm

My date of birth was in school leaving certificate 1st feb, 1975. Now it has been corrected in school leaving certificate as 5th september 1976. Now, I would like to change my date of birth in my pan card also. is it possibe. Again, can i submit the school leaving certificate as a supporting document. Moreover, normally how many days require to making this correction.

Thanks in advance.


Abhinav September 7, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Dear Prasanta

Absolutely. You can go ahead and submit PAN card change request as per process explained by us, and yes you can submit a copy of new school leaving certificate as a supporting document. It will normally take max. a month for receiving the new PAN card.

Hope this clarifies your query.


Anti Corruption September 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Let a Law be made so that any data collected for this purpose can be used only by the government for only the purpose for it needs to be utilized and no other purpose and let any person or entity transferring this data to any other person or entity be strictly punished for it, otherwise let this scheme be discarded forever.


Abhinav September 10, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Dear Anticorruption

hope your msg. is read and acted upon by the right set of people…


Akash Ayush September 18, 2013 at 9:36 am

Hello Abhinav,
I applied for PAN card almost a year ago, and have not received it yet.
When I checked for PAN card status, It says the following:

Representative Assessee not given for Minor/Deceased Applicant.

Please can you tell me what is this exactly and what to do?


Abhinav September 18, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Dear Akash

As per Section 160 of Income Tax Act, 1961 representative assessee has to be nominated in case the assessee is is non resident, minor, deceased, idiot, lunatic or mentally retarded etc.

I believe there has been some mistake at your end in filling PAN application. Now it is one year old and you have not received any response, you can safely assume that it is rejected.

I will advise you to file a fresh application and wait for a month or so within which you should get the PAN card.


Akash Ayush September 21, 2013 at 8:42 am

Ok.Thanks for the help.


Abhinav September 21, 2013 at 9:15 am

You’re welcome Akash. Anytime:)


Arpita Bhattacharjee September 19, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Hi.. I have to change my pan card photo and after going through the above experienced narration my query is , do i have to fill the entire form or just click the left handed squared box for photo mismatch and submit with ID and address proof?

thank you in advance..


Abhinav September 20, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Dear Ms. Arpita

No, you need not fill the entire form. You need to check the boxes only for the fields you require the change in. In your case, it is photo mismatch. Your understanding is correct.


NAMIT September 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm



Abhinav September 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Dear Anjali

As long as you have given the right documents to NSDL with your correct name and DOB, NSDL should not insist on Gazetted officer letter. But if at all they have insisted, I guess you will have to provide the same, so that you get a fresh PAN card with correct details.

What difficulty you are facing in getting a letter from Gazetted officer? If you can tell that, I can help you.


NAMIT September 20, 2013 at 2:09 pm



Chandreshwar September 21, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Sir, i want to apply for pan card.i want to give my matriculation certificate as proof of identity and voter id as proof of address.but my father’s name in voter id is wrong.will that lead to rejection


Abhinav September 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Dear Chandreshwar

Since father’s name in Voter ID card is wrong, it is out of question.

Now, since matriculation certificate can be given only for identity proof, please give another document as address proof (such document should either not mention father’s name or if it does, it should be the correct name)


Chandreshwar September 21, 2013 at 5:31 pm

If i attach both the documents matriculation and voter id card my father’s name will differ as it is wrong in voter id and correct in matriculation certificate


Chandreshwar September 22, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Sir, can i give my residential certificate as address proof


Abhinav September 22, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Dear Chandreshwar

No, residential proof is not a valid address proof.


deep September 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm

sir mere pan card par fathers name ki spelling error hai aur maine change request karni hai pan card ke liye…..sir iske liye muje id proof ke saath original pan card v send karna padega changes request ke liye ya fir PAN card ki xerox copy send karni padegi??
thanks & regard.


Abhinav September 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Dear Deep

You do not need to send copy of PAN card. You just have to submit the proof for father’s name and then the department will issue you a new PAN card.


Deepa D B September 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm


My name is Deepa D. B.

But while filling Pan card online it didnt take my initials so I gave my Full name but in none of my records it is as such .So please help me out in this issue.But as I tracked my pan card status by acknowledgemnt no they are asking for documents with full name.

What to do in this case.




Abhinav September 25, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Dear Deepa

Thanks for your query. If you wanted “Deepa D.B.” to be printed on the PAN card, you should have provided supporting documents containing “Deepa D.B.”.

Now, since you have given your full name in the application, NSDL is right in raising a discrepancy and asking for a document with full name.

Now, since you do not have any document with full name, I will suggest first get a letter from Gazetted Officer for your name “Deepa D.B.”. Once you have it, lodge a fresh application for PAN with your name “Deepa D.B.” and attach the Gazetted Officer Letter.


GOPINATH September 25, 2013 at 10:40 am

Dear Abhinav

I have applied for pan card 2 months back thru online and sent all the required documents thru courier,

After some times i checked the status of my PAN Application and it is saying that (We have received the documents with reference to your PAN application.However, the documents are not valid.)

Reason is Application name not maching with proof

I have given application Name as GOPINATH and Proof submitted for Identification & residential is passport The same name is on the Passport.

Second time i have couriered the same proof and received same thing…..Also sent a mail to in this regard but no use.

Now what to do.


Abhinav September 26, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Dear Gopinath, I would like you to check few things:
Firstly, both First name and Last name are mandatory fields while applying for PAN.
In your query, you have mentioned your first name as “GOPINATH” but you have not mentioned your last name. You need to provide your Last name also in the form while applying for PAN.

Secondly while filling the form Last name textbox comes first and then Middle Name and then First Name textbox. Please make sure you have written your last name and first name in proper boxes.

Please write to us if none of the above mentioned suggestions resolve your issue.


GOPINATH September 27, 2013 at 9:20 am

Dear Abhinav,

Pl explain me wat is First, last & Middle name (My name is GOPINATH & Father Name is ELANGOVAN)
I think i’ve mentioned only my name (GOPINATH) in the name column Sl.No.01 & my father name in the column Sl.No.02

Now wat to do…. is there any possibilites to cancel my application and take back my money… if so i can apply offline.



Abhinav September 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Dear Gopinath,

You cannot cancel your PAN card request. As you have not been issued a single PAN card.
Cancellation request is put when you have multiple PAN cards.
As there is no provision of cancellation of application , there will be no refund amount also.

Don’t get confused between your First Name, Middle Name and Last Name
You have to write the name in the same way as it is written in your passport.

Your first name will be “Gopinath”,
If you have a habit of mentioning any character in Middle name then write it in the textbox provided else leave the Middle Name textbox empty
write your Surname/ Last Name in the Last Name Textbox

Similarly , write father’s first name(ELANGOVAN), middle name (if he puts any) and his last name in respectives text boxes.

Please Note:- write first name, middle name and last name in proper text boxes
You can again apply online and fill the name properly as mentioned above.

If the problem still persists, provide me the screenshot of your passport.


GOPINATH September 27, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Dear Abhinav,

For applying again and to change the name, do i need to pay for it again.


Abhinav September 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Dear Gopinath, unfortunately yes. There is no system of adjustment.

be careful this time when you are applying. in case of any query, let us know before you proceed


GOPINATH September 30, 2013 at 11:43 am

Dear Abhinav,

Finally i have decided to apply off line for the second time to avoid all these problems.

Thanks for all your replys.


Abhinav September 30, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Hi Gopinath

All the best, hope it gets done this time. No thanks…you’re always welcome:)


VIJAY September 26, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Dear Sir
Hello, this is regarding My relative PAN CARD was made in the name of Mrs. Kalavati C Nirmala instead of Kalavati C Nirmal since election card quated spell mistake, now that she has AADHAR CARD with correct name can we submit PAN CARD update application with proof of Aadhar card. i will be very thankfull if u provide me right option to make the necessary changes.


Abhinav September 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Dear Vijay,
Thanks for your query.
For this marginal correction in Name, you are required to fill the Change Request form.
Please tick the column on the left side which needs correction(Name column) and fill the name properly in the column.
Along with this you will have to attach a proof of identity ( which contains the right name). It can be any of the below:
School Leaving Certificate / Matriculation Certificate/ Bank Account Statement / Passbook/ Credit Card/ Water Bill/ Ration Card/ Passport/ Driving License


vikas October 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm

i am apply my pan card now and the status is showing my name mistake

till am not recieved my pan card so can help me

how can i correction in name changes.

plz help me , plz reply as soon as possible.

thanking you


Abhinav October 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Dear Vikas

First wait and get the PAN card. After that, you can file an application for correction in name.

But also think why the mistake happened? Did you write wrong name when you applied for PAN card, have you given proof with correct spelling?


M Suresh October 3, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hi Abhinav,
My name is M Suresh(as per X board).while applying my PAN i gave my Surname (MUPPALAM) in it .Finally i got Surname as Suresh First name as Muppalam and with blur photo.i applied for changes in correction .i dont have any documents with “Muppalam” Name and they rejected my form(why they accepted at first time ?).what can i do now? (M Suresh First name:Suresh Surname:M is this correct ?)


Dilip October 6, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Hi Abhinav,

My father name in PAN is “Rajesh kumarji” and in Govt Gazette my father name is “J.Rajesh” I want to apply for MY own name change in PAN card, can my name change application will be rejected due to my father’s name mismatch?? kindly guide me what to do.


Abhinav October 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Dear Mr. Dilip

In case you want to apply for YOUR OWN name change, where does the question of father’s name mismatch arise. You have to provide only documents for your own name change, and not those of your father, so no problem…


Dilip October 7, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Thanks Abhinav…,

I think my communication was wrong, I mean my father’s name in MY PAN CARD and my father’s name in MY NAME CHANGE GAZETTE is different…. my own two documents but father’s name differs in both, will this create a problem :-( ?


Abhinav October 7, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Dear Dilip

Ok got it. It may create a problem or it may not. Ideally I would not like to give a document which gives the slightest reason for NSDL to reject it (like father’s name mismatch, in your case)

however, since in case of significant name change, Gazettee notification is mandatory document, you can go ahead and attach it and hope that NSDL does not come across discrpancy in the father’s name. If they dont, good…if they do, then we will have to think of another solution..


Dilip October 8, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Many Thanks Abhinav, I will submit the document and lets wait for the result….but if they reject..what option is left for me???


Abhinav October 9, 2013 at 10:23 am

You may first file and wait for result. There is a very less chance of rejection, and if they do so, need to check whether they rejected for father’s name mismatch or some other reason.

If reason given is father’s name mismatch, then you might have to explore getting the Govt. gazettee modified to reflect the correct father’s name.


Aftab October 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

Thanks for posting very useful information. As you mentioned the ifo:- Send the docket to following address in such time as it reaches NSDL within 15 days of the date of online application:
My question: Is there alternative way that I can submit the docket by email??


Abhinav October 19, 2013 at 11:59 am

Dear Aftab

No, there is no alternate mechanism to submit by e-mail.


suman October 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm

if one goes through agent there will not problem
sarkari babus are there to eat money, they will not allow you to get your work done easily


Kavinraj November 4, 2013 at 9:48 am

my name is Kavinraj.. My father name is LAKSHMANAN …my ID proof having the name of Kavinraj L … Now how can I apply for an new pan card now..


Abhinav November 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Dear Mr. Kavinraj

What name you want in your PAN card? Whatever name you want in PAN card, the identity proof has to be in that name only.


Abhinav November 10, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Dear Kavinraj

You can apply only in name of “Kavinraj L” You can apply here:


Vijeya kumar November 4, 2013 at 6:27 pm

My name is “Vijeya Kumar K.” in all my documents. My old PAN card had my spelling wrong (VijayaKumar). So i applied online for a change in spelling recently with Initials as per documents. So in Surname i filled my name “VijeyaKumar” and in first name i expanded my Initial ‘K’ as “Kumaravel” and i mentioned the name to be printed on card as “K. VijeyaKumar”..
Now the online status tells “We have received the documents with reference to your PAN application.However, the documents are not valid.Please click here for details.” and asks me to submit proof for name with expanded initials. But i don’t have proofs for expanded initials in my name. I can only change the name in my application request without expanding initial. But how do i do that now? And i have also sent my original PAN card in the envelope along with the documents for change in signature.
Now what shall i do? will i get back my original PAN card i sent if i dont send them documents they’ve asked for? Or should i apply again? But for applying again i dont have my original Card with me.
And also pls tel me how do i fill my name in application? surname is VIJEYAKUMAR and where do i put my initial thn?


Abhinav November 10, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Dear Mr. Vijeyakumar

First of all sincere apologies I missed your query.

As regards how you have applied for the card, its PERFECT. However, the technical glitch is that the ITD will need the proof for your “expanded name” and NOT the name as you want on the card. They have amply clarified this in their instructions as well.

Also, they have given some leeway for use of initials instead of full name by way of a defined listing like AH. AI, AL, but its a combination of 2 letters whereas in your case, its only a single letter, so it will not be of any use.

You will have to arrange for a proof of identity of your expanded name ” VijeyaKumar Kumaravel” – if you dont have any other document, last option is to seek a letter from Gazetted officer in prescribed format – you can download it here

as regards your point on submission of original PAN card, I will suggest you speak to the call centre on what approach to follow – if they allow you, you can submit a plain application along with documents as part of your new request, quoting the earlier acknowledgement number and the fact that the PAN was provided in that acknowledgement.

hope this helps in some way and all the best!


Vijeya kumar November 11, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Thanks a ton Mr. Abhinav, I just called on customer care and they instructed me to submit a verification certificate as you mentioned and nothing else is needed to process my request. I will soon do that. Thanks again fr sending the verification link.


SohamFP November 11, 2013 at 9:16 pm

thats great Mr. Vijeyakumar. Hope the issue gets solved and you get a fresh card as per your desired name at the earliest.


Vijeya kumar November 11, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Ya thanks again :)
Btw a small clarification..
In name field our name shud be in lastname and expanded initial shud be in firstname right?


SohamFP November 13, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Dear Mr. Vijeya check this link

in the name field also, specified intiials are allowed. In the field for “name to be printed on the card”, there also you can use initials but only for first name and middle name, but not in last name.

hope this clarifies.


Aparna.K November 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Dear Sir,

We have applied for PAN of a Co-operative society Acknowledgement number-882030119877992. It was informed to us that the name given and the identity proof is not matching. we came to know that while applying we have not entered the word ‘limited’ at the end of the name but the proof contains the word limited. Now is there any procedure to directly alter the same(applied) form to include the word limited or do we have to make new application along with the processing fee and send the documents again?

Please update us on the same at the earliest.

Thank you


Abhinav November 9, 2013 at 9:58 am

Dear Aparna ji

As of now, there is no procedure for withdrawal of application and refund of fee, in case of an error in application. I guess you will have to make a fresh application only.


Rakhi November 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm

hi Abinav,
u did a great job really.It is very useful info. And i cant b not appreciating ur replies for our queries.
i have small doubts that
1. In the application where i can upload my doucuments??
2.Actually if i want to change my signature, then where will i provide that signature??

please provide the information

thanks in advance,


Vijeya kumar November 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Mr. Rakhi,
I myself have answers fr ur query.
1. U cannot upload ur documents online with application. you have send ur documents in post to the address mentioned in ur appln form bottom. u have to print out the acknowledgement form after u fill in and post it along with documents.
2. To change ur signature u can just sign the acknowledgement form u print frm website in the allotted space with ur new signature. And u have to send ur original PAN card along with the documents u r going to send via post fr changing signature. No need to mention ur old signature anywhere.


Abhinav November 9, 2013 at 9:53 am

Thanks Mr. Vijeya, yes your replies are bang on. thanks for your contribution…


Vijeya kumar November 9, 2013 at 11:16 am

Thank u Mr. Abhinav, but i want u to give a solution fr my problem too, the one i have mentioned above this convo. Pls clarify tat one too.


SohamFP November 10, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Dear Mr. Vijeyakumar

Apologies, I have replied now. Pls check and revert in case of further clarification.


Abhinav November 9, 2013 at 9:53 am

Dear Ms. Rakhi

Thanks for the appreciation. I guess Mr. Vijeya Kumar has done an excellent job in helping you with your query.


Aparna.K November 9, 2013 at 10:23 am

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the reply sir, I got the same info when I mailed to tin-nsdl. We have to make a new application along with processing fee and also send the documents again.

Kind Regards


Abhinav November 10, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Thanks Aparna ji, great that a formal confirmation from TIN-NSDL is also received.


Jayshri November 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Dear Sir,
If applicant is married women, his middle name is Husband’s name or married women father’s name which is valid in pan form 49.
Jayshri Dalwadi.


SohamFP November 10, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Dear Jayshriji

If the applicant is married, then there is no restriction on middle name, you can either use father’s name or husband’s name. But the important condition is that the name on ID proof must match exactly as per the full name as given in application.

So, ensure that when you make an application, mention only that name for which you have exactly same name ID proof.

Also remember one more thing, in father’s name, even in case applicant is married, she has to mention father’s name only and NOT husband’s name.


Jayshri November 10, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Respected Sir
Thank you very much for your reply.
Thanks n regards,


SohamFP November 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Thanks Jayshriji. You’re always welcome!


Jayshri November 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm

In pan form 49,
1) Full Name (Full expanded name to be mentioned as appearing in proof of identity/address documents: initials are not permitted)
Please select title, as applicable Shri Smt. Kumari M/s
Last Name / Surname = surname
First Name = applicant’s name
Middle Name = ? this name is Husband’s Name or Married women Father’s Name which is valid as per income tax act?


SohamFP November 10, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Please see my comment to your other query where I have replied


Fazlur Rahman November 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Hi abhinav,
Thanks for the very good information about PAN Card.
I need to change the PAN Card address for my wife. She is a house wife. We both are from Kolkata but her address is different than mine. I dont have any address proof for her. All the proof are in my name. Please guide me how can I apply for ADDRESS CHANGE for her.

Thank you very much,

Best regards,
Fazlur Rahman


SohamFP November 11, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Dear Mr. Fazlur

In this case, only option is to submit a letter from Gazetted officer as per the prescribed format. you can download it from this link:


Fazlur Rahman November 12, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Dear Mr. Abhinav,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply of my querry.

Best regards,

Fazlur Rahman


SohamFP November 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm

You’re welcome Mr. Fazlur…


SARITA November 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I have two pan cards
now only i come to know that as per govt. rule having two pan card is illegal .
i need to cancel one pan card and need to do correction in other one.

2nd pan card(signature wrong ) i used while i made passport as a proof.
apart from everywhere i am using 1st one(name wrong- name is sarita yadav on pan card is sarita kumari)
mostly used to book train tickets oly

Q1 – If ll cancel my 2nd pan card (signature wrong ) it will affect my passport?
Q2 – i gave my 1st pan card(name wrong) in my company wre i am working ao in tax forms my name came sarita yadav instited of kumari.

so pl tell me wt can i do
which one i can cancel and in which one i can do correction…
the way to come out this problem which will not affect me….
pl give suggestions as soon as possible and if u know correctly pl then only give if u r not sure about ur suggestion pl dnt write…


SohamFP November 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Dear Mr. Sarita Yadav

If you apply for change in details in your first pan card (i.e. where name is wrong), and assuming name change is due to marriage, at the time of applying, you need to submit application for name change as well, i.e. marriage certificate, marriage invitation card, publication of ‘name-change’ in gazette, copy of passport showing husband’s name (or vice versa). So, if you have those documents, you can submit application for change of first pan card.

However, a better option will be to apply for change in second pan card where signature is incorrect. You have to sign the appropriate place provided and also provide your old card (2nd card) along with the application. Along with this, you can also tick the box for “Mention other Permanent Account Numbers (PANs) inadvertently allotted to you” and submit your first pan card where name was incorrect.

for both your questions, note that your passport will not be invalidated because of signature issue. As and when you receive new pan card with correct name, you can inform your company’s accounts department.


P K VERMA November 15, 2013 at 11:21 am



SohamFP November 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Dear Mr. Verma

Do you have anything else like Income Tax Dept.’s intimation at the time of issue of PAN card from which you can find the exact name in which PAN was applied for? As per the guidelines for re-print of PAN card, in case data provided by you in the application differs with the already existing data in the income tax database, then they will reject it.

In case nothing is there, I will advise you to contact the assessing officer (AO) directly and request for a solution for this issue.


kumar November 16, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Dear sir,

i need to change my name and signature in my pan card.(i need to have my full name on PAN) is it possible to change that, if possible kindly tel me the process for that.

Thank you


SohamFP November 16, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Yes Sir, you can simply follow the process as outlined by us in the post for change/ correction of PAN data and apply online through this link

you will have to take printout and send original pan card and supporting proofs by post.

in case of a query, do let us know.


Navin November 18, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Dear sir,
I have pan card but my full name is not printed on that and in my all certificate including voter id and aadhar card my full name is printed now if i will apply for passport from my bank statement(printed full name) then is it creating any issue in future please guide me as soon as possible………..


SohamFP November 19, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Dear Mr. Navin

No, passport and PAN are noways related to each other. You can get the passport having full name, I will advise that once you get the passport, you can apply for change in PAN card and tick the option for “Name as printed on card” – there you can mention your full name as you want on PAN card, and you can provide your Passport copy as a supporting.

So, once that is done, your passport as well as PAN Card will have full name.


Navin November 20, 2013 at 2:12 am

Thank you very much for reply of my query, but at this time if i apply for passport and i will show my pan card as id proof then they will accept it and can i submit my voter id or aadhar card as id proof, basically i am from u.p and i want to apply from bangalore through my bank statement as address proof.


SohamFP November 21, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Dear Navin

For passport, whatever are the eligible documents for ID proof you can submit that, be it PAN or voter ID or aadhar card. It will not be a problem. Applying for changes in PAN is a separate thing and nowhere linked to passport.


SARITA November 20, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Dear sir,
thank you very much for your reply
i have 1 more query :
can it ll be possible to transfer my 1stpan-card(wrong name) tax details in 2nd pan-card(correct name),because i need to cancel my 1st pan-card(name wrong).
from last 1 yr i am working ,till now i did not paid any tax but i need this 1yr tax detail in my 2nd pan-card.
can it be possible, and if yes how ?


SohamFP November 21, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Dear Ms. Sarita

There is no way to TRANSFER tax details from one PAN to another PAN.

What you can do is that if you have filed the return against a particular PAN and you are cancelling that PAN and are retaining another PAN no., you can rectify the income tax return that you filed last year and quote the correct PAN no. in the rectified income tax return.

once you do it and it is accepted by Income Tax Dept., your tax filing will appear against that PAN no.


angel November 20, 2013 at 9:24 pm

in my PAN card, there is a mistake in my father name ..
but i have to give my pan card number to join in a company this week ..
i have to apply for correction in my pan card … what shall i do ?
shall i give the same PAN number to that company?
is this will create any problem?
Please do reply..


SohamFP November 21, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Dear Angel

You can give the PAN no. to the company there will be no problem.

PAN no. remains the same even if you apply for change of PAN details.

On safe side, later once you get the new PAN card with correct father’s name, you can provide a copy of that to your company


angel November 21, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Thank you sir for your reply :)


angel November 21, 2013 at 4:29 pm

sir i have any other query … shall i keep this PAN card and make use of it till i get a corrected one ????


SohamFP November 24, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Dear Angel

Yes you can make use of the current PAN card till you get a new one..


angel November 24, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Thank you so much sir


SohamFP November 25, 2013 at 9:02 pm

You’re welcome Angel…


Pankaj gupta December 6, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Dear sir/mam, there is my friend who got pan card printed with wrong D.O.B. i.e. 01/01/90 while his correct D.O.B. As per Voter ID On 01/01/2007 he is of 23 yr i.e. 01/01/84 since he is’nt educated he does’t have any other proof for d.o.b. Like High school mark sheet or D.L. etc. How can he get correct PAN? Whats the procedure? Plz give detailed information about it bcoz he soon wants to for abrod. Plz do the needful.


SohamFP December 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Dear Mr. Pankaj

You can consider attaching copy of Voter ID card along with your application to support the change of DOB.

For exact process, please go through our post and let us know in case you have any issues.


haokip December 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm

i dnt even get my pan card even one month after applying.i cant track as i dnt get my ack number?what should i do to get my detail?


SohamFP December 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm

You can check with the mentioned call centre nos. with your name and date of application.


chaithanya reddy December 10, 2013 at 10:01 pm

sir, i have applied for PAN card about 1 year ago. Now the status of my PAN card is showing that the name in the application form doesn’t match with the proof of identity and address i.e., Voter Identity card . The first name is printed last in my voter identity card. So, what i should do now


SohamFP December 12, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Dear Mr. Chaitanya

In this case, you shall have to give a supporting document that exactly matches with your name on application form.


Naisal.K.T.P December 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I have applied online for a pan card for my wife, received a acknowledgment number and all the documents were send. But now I got a mail that the name to be printed is wrong and should make a new application. Should I give Rs 92 for this also. Can I correct the mistake online with the already received acknowledgment number. My wife’s name is Nasarathul Nisha.P.K (P.K stands for Pilakkavil) and name to be printed is Nasarathul Nisha.P.K. (This is her name in all documents) They are telling the mistake with name to be printed. In this case please tell me what is surname, first name and middle name.




DIVYA December 16, 2013 at 9:15 am

PAN NO:BJXPD9864L. Date of birth 05/11/1991


SohamFP December 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Dear Ms. Divya

You can check whether your PAN no. is correct or not at this link

if it shows as invalid, the PAN no. that you are entering might be wrong – you can re-check with the PAN card. In case it does not get resolved, you can contact the specified call centre nos.


ambu s December 22, 2013 at 5:03 pm

my name is AMBU.S all my proof having this name…then how i split this name to last,first and middile for apply the pan….initials are don’t allowed in last and first names……my father’s name is sasidharan pillai


SohamFP December 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Dear Ambu

Note that there are 2 fields – “Name” and “Name as you would like to be printed on the card”. In “Name” field, you have to enter first and last name, no initials and also note that middle name is not allowed. Whatever name you mention here, you will have to provide exactly the same proof for that.

Father’s name you will have to enter in “Father’s name” field. It has no relation to above fields.


ambu s December 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm

i want to know how i enter this name there.when i put my last name (S) to last name field they said initials are not allow there.when i enter full name as first name they ask me for last name


SohamFP December 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Dear Ambu

You will have to enter full last name in the “Last Name” field. For field “Name as you want printed on card”, you can mention initial


satheeshkumar January 9, 2014 at 9:26 am

dear sir,
We Futuremax Technologies applied for Pan while online status we found a mistake in our name as FuturemaY Technologies,after that pan allotment email came, is it possible to correct and inform them before I’m getting wrong pan
Please reply


SohamFP January 9, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Dear Mr. Satheesh

Looks very difficult. First of all PAN should not have been alloted as the agency is very careful on exact match of name. Now that its alloted, you can speak to the customer care or else wait for the PAN to come and then re-file.


sunny January 12, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Dear Sir
I am having very long name and all my certificates including passport bear that name. Six years before when I applied PAN with my full name through an agent, it came back to me 3 to 4 times with the reason as too long name. Agent suggested me to just apply with surname and normally called name. He misguided me saying that IT won’t accept long names. After that I got my pan card and so far no problem excepting occasional confusion with mutual fund people. One of my friends said that it’s better to correct the pan name.
Full name: surname name1 name2 name3 Sunil name4
Chintala Siva Rama krishna Sunil kumar
Name on pan card (including full name in database): chintala Sunil
Is it possible to correct the name? If it’s not corrected, will there be any issues.


SohamFP January 12, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Dear Mr. Sunny

In your case, you will have to use the same name as in PAN card for opening bank account, mutual fund, demat etc. as PAN is required almost everywhere now. If you are comfortable with that OK, else go ahead and file an application for name change. But for doing that, you will need to produce gazette copy/ certificate from gazetted officer.

- See more at:


Devender February 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Hello sir, I got my pan card in 2008 and i lost it two months back and i’ve re-applied with same PAN number so now i received a new card, but there is slight mistake in My name it supposed to Be ‘Devender’ but on the card it is “Devendar” i’m going to join a bank in two months will it be a problem with that slight mistake or should i re-apply ? is there any restriction on re-applying for number of times ?


Abhinav Gulechha February 10, 2014 at 11:56 am

Dear Mr. Devender

In my view, you should definitely reapply and get one that has your exact spelling as this can create problem later. No there is no restriction on how many times you can apply.


poonam March 9, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Pls advise me is it mandatory to change signature when applying for change of SURNAME after marriage


Abhinav Gulechha March 9, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Dear Poonam

No it is not mandatory. If you dont want to change it thats fine.


poonam March 10, 2014 at 10:03 am

Thanks a lot


Abhinav Gulechha March 10, 2014 at 1:52 pm

You’re most welcome.


Praveen K C March 14, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Hi Abhinav,
Iam Praveen K C and my problem is similar south Indian names with 2 initials.
I already had a pancard taken almost 7-8 yrs back where my Name is correct but my Father Name is wrongly printed. I didn’t applied for any change at that time but recently while giving for one bank they told me about my Father’s name wrongly printed and asked for any other proof.

So I thought let me change and applied online. The problem I faced is it asked me to write my Name in expanded mode for K C and didn’t allowed to write it as Praveen K C in name as well as print Name column. I expanded my Name and also my Father’s Name correctly and filled the application and enclosed with the documents like Aadhar card, Bank statement, SSLC Marks card, Copy of my PAN card (carrying my Name as Praveen K C) & also my Father’s Aadhar card.

3 days after when I checked my status by giving Ack No, it showed Proof of identity, Address, DOB is not exactly matching with the Application Name. When I called their given number, I was told to get the verification form filled and signed by gazetted officer. I did that and now it is showing DOB is not exactly matching with the Application Name and asking me to get the DOB proof with my expanded Name.

Also my DOB is printed in my PAN card issued by ITD and only my Name in expanded for was the issue for which I gave the verification form signed and they also accepted that as Proof of identity & Address.

Any suggestion from your end or shall I leave it as they accept only printed documents and I think no logic works here.



Abhinav Gulechha March 14, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Hello Mr. Praveen

Yes this is a common problem faced, but am surprised why are they not accepting your initials KC in the printed card. As per the guidelines, only certain initials are allowed and “KC” is in that approved list (check guideline here:

Note that when you submit any doc, even if some parameter is inconsistent with already provided data (like DOB), they can raise a query for that – but they should ask for DOB proof for expanded initials – I will advise you to PERSIST – tell them that you can provide DOB proof for initials (I hope you have that!) AND that they should consider your application with name printed on PAN card as “Praveen KC”

All the best is all I can say…


Praveen March 17, 2014 at 10:23 am

Thanks Mr.Abhinav for your suggestion. I will try following the same


Abhinav Gulechha March 17, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Sure Mr. Praveen best of luck…do drop a word on this post if you do get a PANcard, if will help other readers too.


Archana May 12, 2014 at 11:09 am

Hi Abhinav,

I am struck in a situation while applying for lost PAN card.
In my first PAN card, my name was printed without initials since they insisted that they cannot enter initials in PAN card.
I have applied for lost PAN card since i lost my PAN card very recently.

While replying, I dont have any proof for my name identity without initials.
However I have attached my previous PAN allotment letter for my old PAN card along with
AADHAR card, Bank Statement and Copy of Passpost.
Still my application was rejected with name mismatch issue.

Can you please advice on what i can submit for Proof of identity.



Abhinav Gulechha May 12, 2014 at 11:24 am

Dear Archana

Please see below FAQ on the TIN website:

How do I obtain a new PAN card without any changes in details?
When you have a PAN but have not received your PAN card/in case you have lost your PAN card, then you have to fill all the columns in the form for Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN data but do not have to tick any of the boxes on the left margin. In case of an individual, you have to affix a colour photograph of the size 2.5 cm X 3.5 cm.

As you can see, if you are re-applying for lost PAN card, you can simply fill all the fields and do not check any box on left side. You just have to affix the colour photograph but no need to give additional documents. Name has to be exactly as per old PAN card issued to you. Unfortunately, you cannot ask for a PAN card with initials so you will have to write full name.

Possibly why it was rejected with name mismatch was due to the fact that you attached the aadhar card etc, which had your name with initials. I will advise you to make a fresh application without any proofs. If you want to be doubly sure, please check at the PAN helpline nos. as given on TIN website.


divya May 13, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Hi sir
I want to change the dob of my mother on pan card.but the problem is that since 10 years it has not been if I get it changed through the online process ,Will it cause any problem to us because it has been 10 years that it was being mentioned wrong.pls help me on this


Abhinav Gulechha May 14, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Dear Divya

No, there will not be any such problem. If you have supporting docs. showing the correct date of birth, you can apply for a change in PAN card..


Saratha May 15, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Recently I made correction in my name spelling in the PAN card and I got a new Pan card with the same number with the corrected spelling. My concern is that the old spelling in the previous Pan card is there in my D Mat account. Will this affect D Mat transactions? If I have to change the DMat account spelling, will my share transaction be affected since old spelling is given in all my share certificates.


Abhinav Gulechha May 16, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Dear Saratha

No, I dont think there will be any effect. However, I will advise you to formally intimate the concerned DP of this change in PAN card, and also tell them that you want the name change in DP account basis this. Along with your application to DP, please attach the copy of new PAN card with correct spelling.


Araya June 24, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Recently I purchased a home by my name where it reflects with husbands surname. Hence i applied for a PAN card update (for my new surname and signature. My new PAN card arrived shortly a while ago ‘with the same PAN number’ with surname and signature updated.
I am a working woman and I do not want to change my maiden name every where in my professional document and also in bank documents.
So my query is: Is it mandatory to update the documents every where with new pan card name.
Can i use my old pancard to produce id proof in future?
For rechange in new pancard, what I have to do?
If the name is different( only surname) in both the property document and pancrd , will it create any probelm in future?

Please suggest me on this..


Abhinav Gulechha June 26, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Dear Araya

First of all, my apologies for delay in reply, was not well..

Coming to your question, once you apply for change in pan card (reflecting change in surname) and you get the new PAN, you have to destroy the old one and you should NOT use it……

now, even if you have obtained new pan with new name, there is no need to change the existing bank accounts where your maiden surname was given as the KYC was already done with old pan card – yes, now if you want to open a bank account with maiden name, new PAN Card will not be acccepted and old PAN card you cannot produce – so, new account you can open only with your new surname….

So, there is NO requirement to update the documents everywhere because of change in surname.

No, you cannot use your old PAN card to produce ID proof in future – my suggestion will be to destroy it otherwise it will create confusion for you…

Rechange in PAN card – But why do you want to rechange PAN card, you have done the right thing by getting new pan card with new surname!!

If the name is different( only surname) in both the property document and pancrd: No, it will not be a problem


Araya June 26, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Thanks a ton Abhinav…

Also my passport is in my maiden name.. Should I have to update it to new name.


Abhinav Gulechha June 28, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Dear Araya

Again apologies for delay in reply. I dont think there will be any issue…


Araya June 30, 2014 at 11:50 am

Thanks Abhinav.. :)


Abhinav Gulechha June 30, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Thanks Araya…you’re most welcome.


chavda August 16, 2014 at 2:14 am

Hello Sir
I have just received my pan card.But there is some error in my surname. My Actual surname is chavda but in PAN card it is chavada. I have applied for correction. Till I get my updated pan card can I continue with my existing pan card.Can it create problem
Please reply


Abhinav Gulechha August 20, 2014 at 6:24 pm

No Chavda it will not.


krishna August 17, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Hi Sir
Recently i joined one MNC .I do not have my pan card.I want to know that what will be its effects on monthly salary.
Please reply fast


Abhinav Gulechha August 20, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Krishna your TDS may be deducted higher. Suggest you apply for Pan asap.


Rakesh Yadav August 26, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Hi Abhinav,

My wife having 2 bank accounts on different name & both are active.

1. Rekha Kumari Yadav (Before Marriage)
2. Rekha Yadav (After marriage)

They have Pancard on the name of Rekha Kumari Yadav. Can we use this pancard for both account? We want to remove middle name but they having most of the documents with middle name. Please suggest.

Rakesh Yadav


Rajgopal August 27, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Hi Abhinav,

I had applied for new PAN card for my wife & given ID proof of here Adhar card & as we had got married I had given my address along with my marriage certificate. But it got rejected say that Proof of Residential address is not in the name of the applicant.
Submit proof of residential address where name and in application exactly matches with name in proof.
can you help me how can I apply changing the address to my address of my wife.


Rajgopal August 27, 2014 at 2:53 pm

& Do I need to Re-reply as a new applicant as the application I had sent got rejected. Can you please guide me how to apply for the next time for my wife PAN card.

Thanks & Regards,


Share your thoughts

{ 2 trackbacks }